- American Bar Association
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Association of American Law Schools
- Black Stripe
- Boston Queer Asian Pacific Alliance
- Community United Against Violence
- Deaf Queer Resource Center
- Fenway Community Health Center
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders
- Gender Public Advocacy Coalition
- Human Rights Campaign
- International Association of Lesbian & Gay Judges
- International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Comm.
- International Lesbian & Gay Association
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund
- Massachusetts Chapter of Gender Education &
- Massachusetts Lesbian & Gay Bar Association
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Gay & Lesbian Task Force
- National Latina/o LGBT Organization
- National Lesbian & Gay Law Association
- Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
Forum for Academic
and Institutional Rights (F.A.I.R.) v. Rumsfeld
In the fall
of 2003, law students, professors and schools filed a suit against the
Department of Defense and other federal agencies, asserting that the Solomon
Amendment violated their First Amendment rights.
Coalition for Equality joined the suit, filed by the law firm of Heller
Ehrman. Other named plaintiffs include: Society of American Law Teachers,
Rutgers Gay and Lesbian Caucus, and several private citizens.
filed suit in a New Jersey federal district court. The federal
district court denied the Defense Department's motion to dismiss, rejecting
the government's argument that F.A.I.R. lacked standing. The district court
however denied F.A.I.R.'s preliminary injunction request. On appeal, the
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit reversed the district
court and granted F.A.I.R.'s request for a preliminary injunction.
Civil Liberties Union
College Magazine Article, Winter 2004.
University Law School's FAIR site (provides links to litigation related