- Russell, M. & Kavanaugh, M. (2011). Assessing Students in the Margins: Challenges, Strategies, and Techniques.
- Russell, M. & Airasian, P. W. (2011). Classroom Assessment: Concepts and Applications, 7th Edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Madaus, G., Russell, M., & Higgins, J. (2009). The Paradoxes of High-Stakes Testing: How They Affect Students, Their Parents, Teachers, Principals, Schools, and Society. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Russell, M. (2006). Technology and Assessment: The Tale of Two Perspectives. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing
- Russell, M. (2011). Digital Test Delivery: Empowering Accessible Test Design to Increase Test Validity for All Students. A Monograph Commissioned by the Arbella Advisors.
- Russell, M., Hoffmann, T., & Higgins, J. (2009). NimbleTools: A Universally Designed Test Delivery System. Teaching Exceptional Children.
- Russell, M., Higgins, J., & Hoffmann, T. (2009). Meeting the Needs of All Students: A Universal Design Approach to Computer-Based Testing. Innovate.
- Russell, M., O’Dwyer, L, & Miranda, H. (2009). Diagnosing students’ misconceptions in algebra: results from an experimental pilot study. Behavior Research Methods, 41(2), 414-424.
- Russell, M., Douglas, J., Kleiman, G., & Carey, R. (2009). Comparing self-pace and cohort-based online courses for teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 41(3), 361-384.
- Carey, R., Kleiman, G., Russell, M., & Venable, J.D. (2008). Online Courses for Math Teachers: Comparing Self-Paced and Facilitated Cohort Approaches. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 7(3). Retrieved [date] from http://www.jtla.org.
- Russell, M. & Famularo, L. (2008). Testing what students in the gap can do. Journal of Applied Testing Technology, 9(4).
- O’Dwyer, L. Russell, M., Bebell, D. & Tucker-Seeley, K. (2008). Examining the relationship between student’s mathematics test scores and computer use at home and at school. Journal of Technology, Learning and Assessment, 6(5).
- Russell M., O’Dwyer L. M., Bebell, D., & Tao, W. (2007) How Teachers’ Uses of Technology Vary by Tenure and Longevity. Journal of Educational Computing Research.37(4), 393-417.