- Shirley, D., with Fernandez, M.B., Ossa Parra, M., Berger, A., & Borba, G. (2013) “The Fourth Way of Leadership and Change in Latin America: Prospects for Chile, Brazil, and Colombia,” Pensamiento Educativo, 50(2),http://pensamientoeducativo.uc.cl/index.php/pel
- Shirley, D. & Hargreaves, A. (2013) “The International Quest for Educational Excellence: Understanding Canada’s High Performance,” Education Canada, 52(4), 10-13
- Shirley, D., (2013) “Mindful Teaching with Technology: Steps Towards Harmonization,”in Malone, H.J. (Ed.), Leading Educational Change: International Perspectives on System-Wide Reform (New York: Teachers College Press), 20-24
- Shirley, D., & Hargreaves, A. (2012). The global fourth way: The quest for educational excellence. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Shirley, D., & Hargreaves, A. (2012). The international quest for educational excellence: Understanding Canada’s high performance. Education Canada, 52(4), 10-13.
- Shirley, D., & Lam, K. (2012). Integrating networks in the fourth way of leadership and change: The contributions of the Finland-Alberta partnership. In S. Murgatroyd & J. C. Couture (Eds.), Rethinking school leadership. New York, NY: futureTHINK.
- Shirley, D. (2011). The Fourth Way of technology and change. Journal of Educational Change, 12(2), 187-209.
- Shirley, D., & Cox, J. (2011). Corporate funding of public schools in Antebellum Massachusetts: The Waltham exception. The Massachusetts Historical Review, 13, 31-66.
- Shirley, D., & Hargreaves, A. (2011). The far side of educational reform. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Teachers Federation.
- Shirley, D., et al. (2011). Improving lower secondary schools in Norway. Paris, France: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
Selected Recent Grants, Research Honors and Awards
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Educational Change
- Co-Principal Investigator with Andy Hargreaves of the Northwest Rural Innovation and Student Engagement (RISE) Network, $500,000.
- Principal Investigator, The Mindful Teacher, funded by Academic Technology Innovation Grant, $80,000.
- Chair, Special Interest Group on Educational Change, American Educational Research Association, 2012-2015.
- Keynote Speaker, Annual Conference, Victorian Principals’ Association, Australia, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker, International Association for Student Achievement Conference, Singapore, 2013.