Anzalone, Filippa Marullo, Professor and Associate Dean for Library and Technology Services
A.B., Smith College; M.S.L.S., Simmons College; J.D., Suffolk University.
Breda, Karen, Legal Information Librarian & Lecturer in Law
B.A., Willamette University; J.D., University of Oregon; M.L.S., Simmons College.
- Review of Minds, Brains, and the Law: The Conceptual Foundations of Law and Neuroscience by Michael S. Pardo and Dennis Patterson. Law Library Journal 106, no.3 (2014): 459-460.
- "Denial of Health Insurance Premium Assistance to Legal Aliens Violates Equal Protection Provision of Massachusetts Constitution." American Bar Association TIPS Insurance Regulation Committee Newsletter (Summer 2012): 9-10.
- "Massachusetts Implements Municipal Health Insurance Reform." American Bar Association TIPS Insurance Regulation Committee Newsletter (Winter 2012): 10.
- "The Dodd-Frank Act." American Bar Association TIPS Insurance Regulation Committee Newsletter (Winter 2011): 10-11.
- Assisting Editor, The Reference Handbook on the Comprehensive General Liability Policy, edited by Alan Rutkin and Robert Tugander. Chicago: ABA Publishing, 2010.
- Review of Insurance Antitrust Handbook. 2d ed. published by American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law. Legal Information Alert 27, no. 3 (March 2008): 10-11.
- Review of Winning Legal Strategies for Insurance Law by Aspatore Books staff. Legal Information Alert 26, no.6 (June 2007): 12.
Chen, Sherry Xin, Legal Information Librarian & Lecturer in Law
B.A., Shanghai International Studies University; J.D. & M.S.L.I.S., University of Michigan.
- Review of Same Sex Issues in China and Beyond by Chenge Chu, Ping Jia, and Jun Wang (eds). The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law 4 no.1 (2016): 199-203.
Davis, Laurel, Legal Information Librarian & Lecturer in Law, Curator of Special Collections
B.A., Vanderbilt University; M.L.S., Simmons College; J.D., Boston College Law School.
- With Mary Ann Neary and Susan E. Vaughn, “Teaching Advanced Legal Research in a Flipped Classroom.” Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research & Writing 22:1 (Fall 2013): 13-19.
- With Chester Kozikowski. "Rare Books & Technology: Collaborating Within the Library." AALL Spectrum, 17: no.1 (September/October 2012): 15-16.
- “Administrative Law—Regulations, Orders, Decisions, Opinions.” In Handbook of Legal Research in Massachusetts Handbook, 6:1-6:22. Boston: Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2009, 2012 & 2015 Supplements.
- “Rules of Court.” In Handbook of Legal Research in Massachusetts Handbook, 5:1-5:16. Boston: Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2009, 2012 Supplement.
- Review of The Special Collections Handbook by Allison Cullingford. RBM: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural Heritage 13: no.2 (Fall 2012): 204-205.
- Review of From the Hand to the Machine—Nineteenth-Century American Paper and Mediums: Technologies, Materials, and Conservation by Cathleen A. Baker. RBM: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural Heritage 13: no.1 (Spring 2012): 64-66.
Neary, Mary Ann, Legal Information Librarian & Lecturer in Law
B.A. University of Massachusetts; M.S.L.I.S. Simmons College; J.D. Suffolk.
- With Filippa Marullo Anzalone, “Promoting the Law Library as Gathering Place.” ALL-SIS Newsletter 33: no. 2 (Winter 2014): 11-12.
- With Laurel E. Davis and Susan E. Vaughn, “Teaching Advanced Legal Research in a Flipped Classroom.” Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research & Writing 22:1 (Fall 2013): 13-19.
- With Alex Berrio Matamoros. “Librarians, Legal Research and Classroom iPads – A Winning Combination." AALL Spectrum 17: no.1 (September/October 2012): 27-29.
- Editor. Handbook of Legal Research in Massachusetts, 3d ed. Chapter author: "Massachusetts Legislative Procedure and History." 3:1-3:46; "Legal Collections in Massachusetts" with Pamela Schofield. 10:1-10:7. Boston: Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2009, 2012 & 2015 Supplements.
- With George D. Wilson. "Hello BLAW: Bloomberg Law, the Newcomer in Legal Research, Meets Academic Users." AALL Spectrum 13: no.5 (March 2009): 16-19, 31.
- With Jennifer Murray and Gail Partin. "Help is on the Way: ALL-SIS and RIPS-SIS Partner to Improve Access to Legal Research Instruction Materials." AALL Spectrum 9: no.3 (December 2004): 18-19.
- Legislative Procedure in the Massachusetts General Court. Boston: Office of the Senate Clerk, 2003.
- Editor. Handbook of Legal Research in Massachusetts. Chapter author: "Massachusetts Legislative Procedure and History." 3:2-3:46. Chapter co-author (with Brian J. Harkins and Ruth G. Matz): "Selected Legal Research Resources." 11:1-11:32. Boston: Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2002.
- "State Government Procurement of Electronic Legal Services." Legal Reference Services Quarterly (special issue) 17, no. 1/2 (1999): 43-58.
- "Selected Family Law Resources on the Internet." In 1998 Management and Technology Conference Publications, 67-69. Boston: Massachusetts Bar Association, 1998.
- "Massachusetts Legislative History." In How to Do Massachusetts Legal Research: Maximizing Efficiency in the Print and Online Environment, 13-50. Boston: Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 1998.
- "Legislative Rules Reform." ABLL Advocate: Newsletter of the Association of Boston Law Librarians 19: no.4 (March/April 1996): 3-4.
- With Sarah Bourne. "Electronic Access to State Resources in Massachusetts." ABLL Advocate: Newsletter of the Association of Boston Law Librarians 19: no.1 (September/October 1995): 5-6.
- "News from the State Library [OPAC and Environmental Bulletin Board]" ABLL Advocate: Newsletter of the Association of Boston Law Librarians 19: no.2 (November/December 1995): 6-7.
- "Massachusetts Committee Hearings on Videotape." ABLL Advocate; Newsletter of the Association of Boston Law Librarians 16: no.1 (September 1992): 5-6.
Pal, Anupama, Legal Information Librarian & Lecturer in Law
B.A., University of Illinois at Chicago; M.L.I.S., University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign; J.D., John Marshall Law School.
- “Banning Joseph Heller's Catch 22: The Case of Minarcini vs. Strongsville City School District and Issues of First Amendment Rights, Intellectual Freedom, and Censorship,”Elon Law Review (Forthcoming 2015).
- Book Review: Internet Legal Research on a Budget: Free and Low-Cost Resources for Lawyers by Carole A. Levitt and Judy K. Davis, AALL Spectrum Blog, August 2015.
- “Legal Research of Government Documents on ProQuest Databases: A Survey of Legislative Insight and Congressional,” Reference Reviews 28: no 3 (2014): 8-10.
- Book Review: What the Best Law Teachers Do by Michael Hunter Schwartz, Gerald F. Hess, and Sophie M. Sparrow, AALL Spectrum Blog. April 2014.
- Book Review: The Accidental Law Librarian by Anthony Aycock, AALL Spectrum Blog, July 2013.
- “First Amendment Freedom of Speech: No Purchase Necessary. Some Exclusions Apply,” Illinois State Bar Association, Human Rights Newsletter 36: no. 3 (February 2010).
Shear, Joan A., Legal Information Librarian & Lecturer in Law
B.A., University of Minnesota; J.D., Harvard; M.S.L.S., Catholic University of America.
- "The Librarian as Educator: Teaching Essential Legal Research Skills." In The Changing Role of Academic Law Librarianship, 89-102. [Boston, MA]: Aspatore Books, 2008.
- "Elevating Form Over Substance." AALL Spectrum 9: no.8 (June 2005): 10-11, 14-15.
- "Massachusetts." In State-by-State Report on Permanent Public Access to Electronic Information. Principal authors & editors, Richard J. Matthews et al., 129-133. [Washington, D.C.?] Government Relations Committee and Washington Affairs Office, American Association of Law Libraries, 2003.
- "That's Not Funny: Tiffany's, Moon River and Memory in Legal Research Education." RIPS Law Librarian 24: no.2 (Winter 2002): 2-3.
- "Could I See That Price Tag Again?" AALL Spectrum 7, no.1 (September 2002): 30.
- With Kelly Browne. "Which Legal Research Text Is Right For You?" Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research and Writing 10: no.1 (Fall 2001): 23-29.
- "Stuck in the Bargain Basement." AALL Spectrum 6: no.2 (October 2001): 34, 36.
- "Are You PR Impaired? How Would You Know?" AALL Spectrum 5, no.5 (February 2001): 14, 17.
- Review of Basic Legal Research: Tools and Strategies, by Amy E. Sloan. American Association of Law Schools, Section on Legal Writing, Reasoning and Research [Newsletter] (Spring 2000): -3.
- "On Target PR." AALL Spectrum 4, no.3 (November 1999): 14.
- "Your Public Relations Inner Child." AALL Spectrum 3, no.6 (March 1999): 12.
- "Five Keys to Public Relations Success." AALL Spectrum 3, no.3 (November 1998): 2.
- "The Front Page: Memoirs of an Annual Meeting Newspaper Editor." American Association of Law Libraries Newsletter 25:1 (September 1993): 33-34.
- Editor, Beantown Beacon, publication of the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Law Libraries in Boston, MA, July 11-14, 1993.
- "The Reference Librarian in the Academic Law Library." Legal Information Management Reports 3 (Summer 1991): 2-4.
- "Using Trash to Teach Legal Research." Reader Services Law Librarian 12, no. 4 (June 1990): 8-14. [Also appears in Integrated Legal Research 3 (Winter 1990-91): 27-30.]
- "Survey of Legal Research Skills and Needs." Reader Services Law Librarian 12, no. 3 (March 1990): 5-13.
- With Leslie Bitman and Filippa Anzalone. "The Law Librarian: Providing Information Services for Lawyers." Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, June 5, 1989, 1-2.
Szydlowski, Nick, Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication Librarian
B.A., Yale University; M.L.S., Simmons College.
- With Annie Peterson and Holly Robertson: Preservation Statistics Survey Report FY2015. American Library Association, 2016.
- "Fountain: Scholarship and the Illusion of Permanence." Hybrid Pedagogy, April 19, 2016.
- With Annie Peterson and Holly Robertson: "Do You Count?: The Revitalization of a National Preservation Statistics Survey." Library Resources & Technical Services 60 no.1 (2016), 38-51.
- With Annie Peterson and Holly Robertson: Do You Count?: The FY2014 Preservation Statistics Report. American Library Association, 2015.
- With Annie Peterson and Holly Robertson: Preservation Statistics: A Survey for U.S. Libraries, FY2013 Report. American Library Association, 2014.
- "A Dead Link or A Final Resting Place?: Link Rot in Legal Citations." AALL Spectrum 14, no.6 (April 2014), 7-8.
- With Annie Peterson and Hollie Robertson: A Survey of Preservation Activities in Cultural
Heritage Institutions: FY2012 Report. Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, American Library Association, 2013.
- “Archiving the Web: It's Going to Have to Be a Group Effort.” The Serials Librarian 59, no. 1, (July 2010), 35-39.
- With Katharine Dunn: "Web Archiving for the Rest of Us: How to Collect and Manage Websites Using Free and Easy Software." Computers in Libraries 29, no.8 (September 2009), 12-18.