Founder of the Phyllis and Jerome Lyle Rappaport Foundation
Jerry Rappaport has been a mover and shaker in the greater Boston area for more than 50 years, investing his energy and fondness of the city and the region into his successful career. A native New Yorker, Mr. Rappaport began his involvement in public policy while a student at Harvard College and Harvard Law School. He was an integral part of John Hynes’ campaign for mayor of Boston and served in Hynes’ administration. In 1950, he created the New Boston Committee, an organization that became an essential element in the revitalization of Boston. After four years of policy-level public service, he left government to start his career as an attorney. Mr. Rappaport also returned to Harvard, receiving his Master in Public Administration degree in 1963. In addition to his three Harvard degrees, Mr. Rappaport received an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws from Suffolk University in 1989.
In 1993, with sons Jerry Jr. and Jim, Mr. Rappaport founded the New Boston Fund, which owns, develops, and operates over 15 million square feet of office, research and development, warehouse, and residential real estate. Mr. Rappaport is Chairman of the Board.
Mr. Rappaport has spent a lifetime as a political activist, real-estate developer, and philanthropist with a single goal in mind: to shape a better future for Boston and the region. His unwavering attention to the betterment of the city in both business and personal interests has manifested itself throughout the region in innumerable ways. That effort culminated in 1997, with the creation of the Phyllis & Jerome Lyle Rappaport Foundation.
Over the years, Mr. Rappaport has been a dedicated and generous contributor to numerous charitable and civic organizations in Boston, and the Rappaport Foundation will continue that tradition. His wife and ten children have also provided substantial leadership to various communities and public service endeavors locally and nationally.