ALERT: IRA Charitable Rollover Now Permanent
Under recent federal legislation, you can use your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to make a gift to your favorite charitable institutions, including Boston College.
Individuals age 70 ½ and older can now instruct their IRA administrators to make a distribution directly to BC and exclude the amount of the gift from their gross income for federal tax purposes.
By making an IRA charitable rollover, you can:
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution
- Avoid federal and, in many cases, state income taxes
- Provide critical support to the BC department, school, or initiative of your choice
Maximize your 2016 charitable gift—and create an immediate and tangible impact at the Heights.
To be eligible:
- You must be 70½ years of age or older at time of distribution
- Total charitable gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per taxpayer each year
- Transfers from traditional and Roth IRAs must be made directly from the account administrator to Boston College
To make a gift
- Contact your IRA administrator to request that a charitable distribution be transferred to Boston College
- To ensure gifts are properly recognized and recorded, instruct your IRA administrator to indicate the donor’s name on the check and specify that the gift is an IRA charitable distribution
- Send your check to:
Office of Gift Planning
Cadigan Alumni Center
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Boston College Tax ID: 04-2103545
Note: The IRA charitable rollover is federal law; state and local law may not provide the same benefits.