Gifts of Stock
Did you know that appreciated stock is one of the most tax-efficient ways to make a charitable gift? Learn how a gift of stock can yield a wealth of benefits for you—and for BC.
Top 5 Reasons To Donate Stock:
- Save on Income Taxes: If you've held your securities for more than one year, your gift will create a valuable income-tax deduction.
- Avoid Capital Gains Tax: Since the securities are donated rather than sold, capital gains taxes from selling the securities no longer apply.
- Support What Matters Most: You can direct your stock gift to the school, department, or program that means the most to you at BC.
- Deliver Immediate Impact: Gifts of stock are considered "current-use" and count toward annual and reunion giving totals.
- Giving Is Simple! A transfer can be as simple as a phone call and written confirmation, and may be completed online, by mail, or in person.
See below for instructions on how to make a gift of stock to Boston College, or contact us for questions about gifts of stock, mutual funds, and other assets.
Boston College Office of Gift Processing
Ready to Get Started?
For Securities Held by your Bank or Broker
- Simply provide your broker with detailed instructions of the gift that you would like to make to BC, including the name of the stock and the number of shares to be transferred from your account to Boston College's at:
- Then, please contact the Boston College Office of Gift Processing at 617-552-4844 or email@example.com to let us know the name of the stock and the number of shares that you will be transferring to the BC account at Fidelity. This information will help us provide you with proper gift acknowledgment on a timely basis.
Fidelity Investments, National Financial Services Corp.
DTC (Depository Trust Company) #226
Account #201973114, Trustees of Boston College
Reference: Donor's Name
For Securities Held by You
If you hold a stock certificate, please send it to us with a stock power form. For safety and simplicity, you should send the certificate and stock power form in separate envelopes.
- Send your certificate(s) without any endorsement, assignment, or other notation to:
- Download and print out a stock power form, one for each separate security, if applicable.
- Sign the stock power exactly as your name appears on the certificate and leave the rest of the form blank.
- Mail the signed stock power in a separate envelope, along with a copy of the letter that accompanied the certificate, to the address above.
Office of Gift Processing
Cadigan Alumni Center
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Attn: Stock Gift Administration
Please enclose a letter including the designation of your gift.
Note: Your gift is valued in accordance with IRS guidelines. Gifts of securities that are held for more than one year may be deducted at the full market value.